NBC Science News have recently published a news article based on information from Discovery Communications LLC (owners of The Discovery Channel) about the overall warming of the oceans which is happening at an alarming rate.
Recently the “global warming” phenomenon has started to be ignored by the general public, given that the prophesised catastrophes have not happened, but this is mostly due to the fact that the seas have been absorbing the extra warmth of the earth’s crust, although this will stop happening at a point in time.
A joint research paper by the National Center for Atmospheric Research in USA and the European Center for Medium Range Weather Forecasts based in the UK has brought together diverse data sets of monitoring data captured from sensors in fixed or drifting locations, and also probes put on elephant seals. This study clearly shows that the deeper parts of the oceans are not as cold as they have been, and this causes different weather conditions including winds and phenomenas like El Nino in 1998. (seen in this image, courtesy NASA)
Copyright and Links:
- Full NBC article: http://www.nbcnews.com/science/deep-oceans-warming-alarming-rate-6C10606562
- Discovery Communications: http://corporate.discovery.com/
- Geophysical Research Letters Journal: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1944-8007
- National Centre for Atmospheric Research: http://ncar.ucar.edu/
- European Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasts: http://www.ecmwf.int/
- NASA: http://www.nasa.gov