In 2023, the GOOS Report Card showcases achievements and challenges in continuing to integrate physical, biogeochemical and biological observations to provide a global view of the status of the observing system and the ocean we observe.
The 2023 Report Card focuses on several key areas, including:
- Delivering a global overview of the status of the ocean observing networks;
- Tracking marine heatwaves to better understand their impacts on society and ecosystems;
- Streamlining the connection between observations and services to improve extreme event forecasts;
- Monitoring the health of our seagrass habitats, vital for fisheries, blue carbon and coastal resilience;
- Collaborating with industry and training the new generation of ocean observers.
The report advocates the value of integrated ocean observing networks and a truly global ocean observing system.