The 2nd International Ocean Research Conference (IORC), organized by the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission of UNESCO,the Oceanography Society and the Fundacio Navegacio Oceànica Barcelona; is an opportunity for the scientific community to come together to plan the coming decade of international collaboration in marine science and technology, with a view to improving ocean governance.
This conference has an interdisciplinary focus, encompassing oceanographic, social science and economic perspectives on ocean research and will provide excellent opportunities to gain insight into the latest oceanographic research through theme sessions, key note speakers and workshops. Also it will be the opportunity to review progress made in ocean science in the last twenty years, and plan ahead in light of important policy developments such as The Future We Want (UNCSD Rio+20) and Future Earth.
The IORC will demonstrate the breadth and global impact of ocean research and its fascinating contributions in terms of new knowledge on pressing issues, including climate change, ocean governance and capacity building.
The oral presentations will be structured in three topics:
- Building Scientific Knowledge. Marine research and observations for climate, ecosystem functioning and security
- Applying knowledge for societal benefit: Achieving ecosystem management and sustainability
- Improving governance and building capacities
The deadline for the submission of abstracts for this conference has been extended to the 30th June. Conditions for submission are as follows:
- Abstracts should pertain to one of the topics or sessions detailed in “Thematic sessions”.
- They must be written in English and submitted via the website.
- Abstracts will be evaluated by the International Scientific Committee on the basis of technical quality and relevance to the topics.
- Depending on time constraints and allocations, abstracts submitted for oral presentation could be accepted as posters.
- Abstracts must refer to one theme only.
- The registration fee must be paid at the time of submission.
Abstract submission deadline: 30 June 2014
Conference: 17-21 November 2014
Workshops: Sunday 16 November 2014
Poster Sessions: Monday 17 November & Wednesday 19 November 2014
Regular Fee (15 March onwards): 175 €
Welcome Reception: Sunday 16 November 2014
Blue Cocktail Evening: Thursday 20 November 2014