Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences
|Short name: RBINS
|JERICO-S3 contact name: Michael Fettweis
|JERICO-S3 email address: Please login or register to view contact information.
|JERICO-DS contact name: Sebastien Legrand
|JERICO-DS email address: Please login or register to view contact information.
Brief Description of Organisation:
The Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences (RBINS) is a Belgian Federal State Institution governed by the Belgian Science Policy Office (Belspo) which is devoted to nature, its long history and its sustainable management. Besides being well known for significant multidisciplinary research activities, it hosts the Museum of Natural Sciences and collections of specimens and it provides public services in terms of advice, expertise and studies. Its mission is, amongst other, to support the management of the marine environment, particularly for Belgian waters, by scientific activities including mathematical modelling, in situ measurements, satellite image analysis (ocean color images in turbid waters) and management advice to policy-makers. For instance, OD Nature monitoring the impact of human activities on marine ecosystem and is responsible for the implementation of the MSFD environmental monitoring program and for the assessment of the MSFD GES. It also operates the RV-Belgica, 4 coastal benthic landers, an accredited Marine Chemistry laboratory, the Belgian Marine Forecasting Centre or the Belgian Marine Data Centre (NODC). In the framework of JERICO-S3, OD-Nature will bring its fundamental and applied expertise in cohesive and non-cohesive suspended particulate matter measurements (in-situ and satellite) and modelling.
JERICO-S3: Main tasks attributed under Work Packages:
- WP4: Partner in the PSS English Channel
- WP7: Test of measurement devices for SPM concentration
- WP8: TNA
- WP11: VA
- WP9: Partner facilitating Belgian users engagement and Belgian support for a transition towards an ESFRI or an ERIC
JERICO-DS: Main tasks attributed under Work Packages:
WP3: co-leader of the design of the JERICO e-infrastructure. Collaboration in WP1, WP2, WP4, WP5, WP6, WP7 as nation representative.
Relevant Projects- previous and existing:
- RV Belgica
- 4 coastal landers (measuring a broad range of near-bed marine processes, including SPM, currents, turbulence, sound, etc.)// - Marine Chemistry Lab
- Belgian Marine Data Centre (NODC) and its databases
- COHERENS Modelling infrastructure and its numerous application (a.o. Belgian Marine Forecasting Centre)
- Satellite images processing and analysis infrastructure (mainly specialised in ocean colour images in very turbid coastal areas)
Rue Vautier 29, 1000 Bruxelles, Belgium